Sea Trout Fishery – Re-opened
Update: 10 August 2018 Following the recent improvement in weather conditions and current medium term (10 day) weather forecasts showing a continuation of current weather patterns and temperatures the Society is pleased to announce that our Sea Trout fishery will be re-opened from Saturday 11 August.
We hope that the remainder of the season finds the river in better condition than it has been for the last few weeks but should prolonged hot and dry weather return and cause sea trout to suffer, the fishery closure could be reinstated.
Update: 31 July 2018 The recent change in weather has provided a little relief but weather forecasts continue to predict higher temperatures and negligible rainfall.
There are dead and dying sea trout in parts of the Society’s fishery and we believe it would be premature to put additional pressure on any that are still present by reopening the fishery now.
We are continuing to monitor the situation and will reopen stretches when we feel that conditions have improved to the point where our sea trout are at a much reduced risk of stress and damage.
It is with regret that Ouse Angling Preservation Society has decided to close its sea trout fishery until further notice.
The prolonged sunshine and high temperatures we’ve been experiencing have caused a marked, and continuing, deterioration in conditions along the length of our fishery. There has been continued abstraction and a significant drop in flow and oxygen levels – today the river is is green from a bloom in algae which will cause further distress to the fish that have already moved in from the estuary
The Society is continuing to monitor the state of the river and will re-open the fishery to sea trout fishing once there is a significant improvement in weather and water conditions. The medium term weather predictions do not show any appreciable change in the near future so it would be best to assume that the sea trout fishery could remain closed until at least the end of July. Updates on river conditions will be put on our website and news of any significant changes will also be sent via email.
We will be considering the impact of the loss of this amenity once conditions are back to normal.
Thank you for your patience and lets hope this weather pattern breaks sooner rather than later.